Friday, September 19, 2008

Sailing Comfortably Numb

All my life, I've been a boating girl, but NEVER did I think I'd be a sailing girl! WOW - sailing is incredible!

I was fortunate to be invited on the Comfortably Numb for her final race of the Summer of 08. The team had been racing monthly and clinched its victory in yesterday's race! Following the victory, we enjoyed a fun celebration in the clubhouse where we even got to drink out of the well-deserved trophy!!

The boat was beautiful... ropes, ties, pulleys, levers, masts of metal, massive sails and ornate wood. It was calming, relaxing, exciting and exhilarating at times. All of the sailing lingo was new to me, but my favorite words of the night were 'jib' and 'tach'. If I heard the word, 'tach', it was the heads up to MOVE QUICKLY!! In fear of falling in the freezing lake, I moved swiftly and dilligently!!


It's amazing to think that years and miles of travel were done on boats powered by the wind rather than gas or a motor. (Realizing how spoiled I am!) Sailing truly gave me a new respect for the water. Hopefully, this won't be my last sailing experience! I'd love to get my hands on some of those ropes!

No comments: